Thursday, July 18, 2013

I went to dust...

But ended up making a wreath instead.

I am not really sure how the thought process went from dusting a shelf to making a pink and purple feather boa wreath for my daughter's sleepover... but it did.  

I started by cutting a circle out of a cardboard box that was just lying in my garage.  As you can see, it doesn't really matter if the circles are perfect.  If you are going to use this post as a tutorial to make your own wreath, please do not focus on perfection here.  No need. 


I then rolled up some grocery bags loosely and used clear tape to tape them to the board.  Again, do not focus on perfection.  I just wanted to add a little bit of padding to make the wreath look more full. 


These are feather boas that I confiscated from my daughter's dress up box.  I hate these things.  They came from the dollar store and they shed feathers all over the place.  You cannot stop it, nor can you contain it.  You can see some of the bare spots where the feathers have all fallen out.

The dark purple one was by far the highest quality one... it was still full and it was the longest.  I used it as the base and wrapped it all the way around the circled board.  I then took the multi colored boas and filled in the gaps.  I only had one light purple one and wasn't sure how to make it look like it belonged so I turned it into a sort of boa flower.


You can't really tell in the photo but the light purple one is hooked to the front of the wreath and not wrapped around the circles like the other boas.


This was the first wreath of this kind that I have made, and I am rather proud of it.  I hope you like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment