Sunday, May 13, 2012

30 by 30: #12 -Lose 50 pounds- The Basics

My weight has been a struggle for a while now.  I am not ashamed to talk about it, because anyone who looks at me can obviously tell that I have a weight issue.  It isn't a big secret.  Way back in high school I was thin... like a little too thin if you look at photos of my arms.  Sometime after high school the weight slowly began to creep up.  I know that at first it was because I had moved out and was eating a lot of fast food.  I also stopped walking anywhere.  At first it wasn't that bad.  No big deal to see the scale at 140.  Then suddenly it was at 185.  Then slowly 190... 200... 220...235...246.  The climb from 185 to where I am now took about 7 years.


I am an emotional eater.  When I am bored... I eat.  When I am upset... I eat.  Unfortunately, I am upset more than it is really healthy... especially since I eat, but because of the stress and hormonal spikes too.


I am addicted to soda.  Dr. Pepper is my drug of choice.  The flavors mix beautifully with the carbonation.  I love it.  This is a very bad love affair.  High fructose corn syrup is what makes the soda so yummy... and addictive.  It was invented in 1957 but mass production was not viable at that time.  However, by 1975 soda companies began putting it into their drinks.  By 1985 high fructose corn syrup was in tons of products... not just soda... but of course in all the sodas.  It is no surprise that obesity rates have steadily climbed over the last 25 years.


So obviously, I have not made all the best nutrition and activity choices over the last ten or so years, but it is also not all my fault.  So many of us are in the same situation.  And the soda companies know that their products are addictive... but they don't care.  They are not going to stop producing these products because they sell and make them money.  It is a vicious circle really.


I however, have decided to take back my health.  Three weeks ago a group of women and myself decided to do a biggest looser competition.  We decided that we would all put in $50 and that the person who lost the most pounds and the person who lost the most inches after a full 6 weeks would each get $100.  There were four of us doing the competition.  We are supposed to walk three times a week together and of course we can do whatever we want on our own the rest of the time.  Our challenge is scheduled to end on June 1st.  I plan to keep up the plans throughout the summer months.  


This is not a quick journey.  I am not searching for a quick fix.  I don't want some fad diet where you drop the inches but in a week they come back with a vengeance.  I want a healthier lifestyle.  Exercise and nutritious foods.


This will be an ongoing post.  Join me on my journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment